The block of four houses that we know collectively as the Ashram Main Building was the abode of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother for more than fifty years, from October 1922 until November 1973. This book tells the story of how the houses – the Library House, the Rosary House, the Secretariat, and the Meditation House – were originally taken on lease, subsequently purchased, then renovated or reconstructed over the years. Later chapters describe the construction of the Mother's rooms on the second floor in 1962 and the history of the central courtyard where the Samadhi and the Service Tree are located. The book, printed entirely on art paper, records every structural change since the time Sri Aurobindo and the Mother moved in, using detailed drawings, explanatory graphics, old photographs, extracts from letters, and notes from some of the early sadhaks as it traces the story of the Ashram Main Building.
To read an article on this book, click here